Relocation of the DIAC processing centre to affect spouse visa applications

Published: 03/06/2009

The relocation of the previously-named Perth Offshore Parents Centre (POPC) on 25th May 2009 brought with it some important administrative changes which will affect the visa application process for spouse, parent and interdependency visas to the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

Since 25th May 2009, the POPC has been renamed the Parent Visa Centre (PVC) and has moved from its previous address of Level 3, 166 Murray Street, Perth, WA, 6000 to its new location at Wellington Central, Level 3, 836 Wellington Street, West Perth, WA, 6005.

It is now required that offshore parent visa applications in certain categories must be posted to Parent Visa Centre, Locked Bag 7, Northbridge, WA 6865 or, if being delivered by courier service, sent to Parent Visa Centre, Wellington Central, Level 3, 836 Wellington Street, West Perth, WA, 6006, as detailed above. The offshore parent visa applications in point are the Parent (Subclass 103) visa, the Contributory Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 173) and the Contributory Parent (Migrant) (Subclass 143) categories.

Visa subclasses for permanent spouse visas (Subclasses 100 and 801) and interdependency visas (Subclasses 110 and 814) are now also required to be sent to the relevant ACT and Regions Office, also known as ACTRO, or the Melbourne main office for processing. Be aware that applications lodged at an immigration office overseas will be processed at the relevant ACTRO, whereas applications lodged in Australia will be processed at the Melbourne office.

The Parent (Subclass 103) visa allows parents to permanently migrate to Australia in order to join their children living in Australia, as long as the child (natural, adopted or step-child) is either a settled Australian permanent resident or a settled eligible New Zealand citizen. In addition to this, at least half of the parent’s children must be living permanently in Australia or they must have more of their children living permanently in Australia than any other country. It is worth noting that this application can include other family members too, if they meet the relevant requirements.

The Contributory Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 173) visa is suitable for parents outside Australia that have children living permanently in Australia, is valid for up to two years and cannot be renewed or extended. This visa allows holders, spouses and dependants to access Australian medical expenses and the hospital care scheme, work and study, although they may not apply for the Austudy scheme.

The Contributory Parent (Migrant) (Subclass 143) visa is right for parents with children already living permanently in Australia who wish to join them on a permanent basis. Again, spouses and dependants can be included on the same application, although the applicant must already hold the above Contributory Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 173) visa and complete their application before that two-year visa ends.

It is very important to note that sending your visa application to the old address, rather than the correct new PVC address, will mean that no valid offshore application has been made. Please ensure that any of the above applications are sent to the correct address to avoid delay and complications.

The processing location for two other types of visa applications has also changed in recent months. Since 1st April 2009, the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Citizenship has consolidated its visa and citizenship processing facilities into dedicated centres located across Australia. The onshore Subclass 445 (Dependant Child) visa applications are now required to be sent to the Departments ACT and Regions Office for processing.



For general enquiries e-mail at
New York, USA:
1 Maiden Lane, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10038
Tel: +1 (212) 461-4811
Fax: +1 (718) 879-6478
Sydney, Australia:
Suite 3, Level 27, Governor Macquarie Tower
1 Farrer Place, Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: +61 (0)2 8005 0644
Fax: +61 (0)2 8572 9967
London, UK:
First Floor, 85 Great Portland Street
London, W1W 7LT
Tel: +44 (0)20 8144 2544
Fax: +44 (0)20 8819 1153
Toronto, Canada:
2899 Steeles Avenue West, Unit 21
North York, Ontario M3J 3A1
Tel: +1 (416) 661-0400
Fax: +1 (416) 661-0040
Contact Us!
Your message was successfully sent!